Saturday, July 12, 2008

"When I Grow Up": in 1937, 1998, 2008

Someone really needs to smoosh these videos together. Here stars Shirley Temple, Shirley Manson, and Nicole Shirley-Zinger:






It's weird how seamlessly the Pussycat Dolls and Shirley Temple lyrics weave into each other. Check out these side-by-side comparisons, in which each lyric is matched to its exact counterpart:

But I ain't complaining when I grow up
We all wanna be famous in a year or two or three
Go ahead say what you wanna say I'll be happy as can be
Know what it's like to be nameless like a birdie in the tree
Want them to know what your name is when I grow up
'Cause see when I was younger I would say there's a lot I want to do

***

When I grow up with flowers in her hand
I wanna see the world and such a veil I never saw
Drive nice cars the biggest in the land
I wanna have groupies four little girls were standing there


Neat! Appalling!

Meanwhile, Shirley Manson sings about her pain bombastic, dreaming of a little freedom from her mental illness. As marketable as she once was, as skinny and white as she'll ever be, Manson's still sticks out from the shining optimistic, can-whore America of the Dolls and Temple.

I have to admit, I enjoyed it when Temple, in her first verse, seems to be mocking Manson's sensitivity to rain. For a toddler in 1937, that is both prescient and incisive.

No comments: